Mom faces backlash over response to sister’s ‘child-free’ wedding: ‘Children do not have to be part of everything’

A woman is refusing to attend her sister’s wedding over a child ban. 

She asked Reddit’s “Am I the A******? (AITA)” forum for advice. The Reddit poster’s sister announced her wedding was child-free. But the poster doesn’t want to go to the ceremony out of principle — she feels weddings should be family events and shouldn’t exclude children. 

“My sister has a wedding coming up this summer,” the Reddit poster explained. “Well, when we received the invitation, it said this wedding will be ‘child-free.’ Once I got my invitation, I called my sister up just to discuss the wedding and give her my response by phone. I congratulated her, but I told her as it’s child-free and I have two sons, I wouldn’t be able to make it. I would send a gift with our parents though.”

“She kinda got upset and asked why I wasn’t going to come. I simply told her weddings are family events for me, and if it’s not a family event I don’t see the point. My sister was very unhappy about this, she yelled that I never even tried to find babysitting or come to her wedding.”

The Reddit poster didn’t think it was an issue because she wasn’t asking her sister to change anything. 

“She got angry because last year I attended our cousin’s wedding, and she feels hers should be more important and one I should want to attend,” the Reddit poster wrote. “Their wedding wasn’t childfree, my kids were there, very well behaved and it was definitely a family event.”

“I don’t feel that I should shell out money to have someone watch my kids, just to watch her get married and honestly I just don’t want to. I didn’t mention her changing the rule, I just told her I wouldn’t be attending. She got angry and is now involving my husband and parents in my decision, saying if I choose not to come she won’t speak to me again (her hill to die on, not my problem).”

Redditors thought the poster was being needlessly obtuse. 

“Children do not have to be part of everything that happens. You are showing your sister how little you care for her,” a user said

“If someone wants a child-free wedding that is fine!” another wrote

“Stop hiding behind your children,” someone commented

In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!

If you enjoyed this story, check out this father of the bride who stops halfway down the aisle to grab his daughter’s stepdad.

The post Mom faces backlash over response to sister’s ‘child-free’ wedding: ‘Children do not have to be part of everything’ appeared first on In The Know.


Post a Comment

0 Comments