Woman dumbfounded by boyfriend’s ‘unfair’ surprise marriage proposal: ‘It was a trap’

A woman publicly rejected her boyfriend’s proposal, now he’s angry with her. 

She explained the incident on Reddit’s “Am I the A******? (AITA)” forum. After slowing down at work to make more time for her boyfriend, she realized he wasn’t the one. But on the day she planned to break up with him, he proposed to her in public. 

“I have been dating my ex for three years,” she explained. “I’m also a huge workaholic, and a month or two ago he approached me and explained he felt like I wasn’t making time for him and was too obsessed with work. I apologized and started making more time for him.”

“Work is quite literally my whole life, and I have a job I’ve been working towards since I was 14, and I love it. I’ve always planned to sacrifice a bit of work for family because that’s important to me. However, the more I spent with him in the last month, the more I felt he wasn’t worth it if that makes any sense.”

She didn’t feel like her boyfriend was the person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. 

“Two days ago, I finally decided that this relationship was going nowhere, and decided to break up with him,” she wrote. “I asked him if we could talk, I had something important to say, but the doorbell rang, and when I opened it I found my two best friends for a surprise visit? The next thing I know, we’re at a fair. We actually went on our first date at that fair, and the whole setup of the night made me panic that he was going to propose.”

“What do I know, he does propose. This guy is on one knee, and I want to break up. I quickly go, ‘I’m sorry but no,’ and awkwardly shuffle away. His friend called me up and called me an a****** for rejecting him in front of friends and fam and a bunch of other people, and told me I could have accepted there and dumped him later on. I told him that that idea was s***, and I would never do that.”

“Proposing in public is an a****** move because it does put completely undue and unfair pressure on the proposee,” a user said

“That wasn’t a marriage proposal, it was a trap,” another commented

“I think he could see you were drifting away and tried to lock you in with a public proposal in front of your friends to pressure you into saying yes,” someone wrote.

In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!

If you enjoyed this story, check out this mom who accidentally recorded the exact moment that saved her marriage.

The post Woman dumbfounded by boyfriend’s ‘unfair’ surprise marriage proposal: ‘It was a trap’ appeared first on In The Know.


Post a Comment

0 Comments